Receive discounts on GVI programs for life!

We are very excited to announce the launch of the GVI Membership! It will give you unprecedented access to discounted spots on a range of GVI programs, updated every single month, at up to 40% off! Sign in and know more about here!

GVI Marine Training kit

Please click here to access the online GVI Marine training kit

If you are coming for four weeks click
here to find the training tool that will help you learning your juvenile fish!

Study on the go! Click here for a Caribbean fish id guide application for iphones, ipads and ipods!

Monday, March 22, 2010

Rapha farewell

As the last of the volunteers leave base for this phase, calm descends over PG. But another, different and long GVI chapter is coming to an end. One of GVI Punta Gruesa’s longest standing member of staff is leaving. Raph, base pioneer and former base leader is moving on. He has worked at 3 different bases here in Mahahual, helped the community through the aftermath of Hurricane Dean and is one of the central characters in TEFL classes. Not to mention having literally seen hundreds of vvolunteer’s stroll on the beaches and dive the reef here.

Many questions have been asked to Raph through the phases and so we have put together this FAQ Blog which should provide answers for all those enquiring minds. (note from Editor I did plan to do this blog in a woman’s magazine style…. “As Raph gazed wistfully onto a flat calm ocean, the sun was setting behind us”…then realized this was Raph’s blog and thought he would want me to keep it real!)

Which was your best phase with GVI?
It would be my first phase in Punta Gruesa in 2008 and this last phase. On both phases the volunteers were really great and they are what make the phase.

What do you hope you have brought to GVI in your time here?
My positivity and good times. Working hard but playing harder. Good Tequila and really great rice! As a Mexican, I have found few barriers in the local community and have made many very good friends who are willing to help GVI.

What was the best part of your job here at GVI?
I have a top 3. First, the diving, secondly, the people, volunteers and staff alike, and thirdly the local community.

What has been your best GVI dive?
I like mega fauna so any of the many dives which I lead and seen everything from turtles and nurse sharks, to stingrays and morays. I also love exploring the PG dive sites and have enjoyed finding new swim-throughs at nearly every site. Los Boyos has a circuit which I found just this phase which is pretty spectacular. My best ever dive was last November on my birthday when a pod of dolphins turned up on the dive to wish me Happy Birthday.

What are your best TEFL and Community work memories?
The first one must be when for one English class in Jan 2009 we had standing room only for TEFL, proving how important it is for the town. Secondly we painted a mural at the school in Summer 2009, the second created by GVI volunteers, and we unveiled it for the children, staff and their parents to see on the first day of school. Last but not least we had “Dive into Earth Week” in April 2008. It was week of conservation activities which blew the town away!

Have you made a difference?
I would say, absolutely. This is a long term project so the difference we aim to make on the reef has not yet been achieved but I hope it will be. GVI has definitely made an impact in the community. We have reached the locals with the numerous classes and activities passing on information about the environment.

What are you going to do next?
I have no immediate plans, I am staying in Mahahual because I have a golden opportunity here until October so I will be here and resting and will still be helping in the local community. Then, I will see what comes my way.

Are there any secrets you want to share about your time at PG?
There are no secrets at GVI, only gossip you haven’t heard yet!

And finally, would you do it all over again?
Of course but with all the knowledge I have now!

It is with a real sadness that PG bids a final farewell to Raph. We know that this phase’s staff and EM’s, along with every single former staff member and volunteer will each have their own special memory of time spent here with Raph. GVI Punta Gruesa will not be the same without him…or his Tequila!

Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: