Receive discounts on GVI programs for life!

We are very excited to announce the launch of the GVI Membership! It will give you unprecedented access to discounted spots on a range of GVI programs, updated every single month, at up to 40% off! Sign in and know more about here!

GVI Marine Training kit

Please click here to access the online GVI Marine training kit

If you are coming for four weeks click
here to find the training tool that will help you learning your juvenile fish!

Study on the go! Click here for a Caribbean fish id guide application for iphones, ipads and ipods!

Friday, May 17, 2013

Clare's story from her Divemaster placement!

Voice from the field,  May 16, 2013 - Clare James

After an incredible three months of living and working at Pez Maya. I have chosen to undertake my Divemaster course in the small fishing village of Xcalac, which is located far down south of the Yucatan Peninsula, on the Belize, Mexico border. XTC dive centre is blessed with outstanding diving. In one day I was lucky enough to see two nurse sharks, two porcupine fish, moray eels, four rays including eagle rays, turtles, manatees and an abundance of other fish species and healthy corals. This is not at all unusual for a day’s diving in Xcalac and the outstanding diversity of marine life is due to the creation of the marine park which was set up when the local fishermen realised that the area was being overfished. By creating the park the local fishermen have ensured future sustainability, and improved biodiversity.

On completing my Divemaster course I am planning on doing my Instructor course, which is an invaluable ticket to living in many incredible areas of the world and pursuing my career as an underwater photographer. Having always enjoyed photography I decided to invest in an underwater housing and after using it for the last four months I have developed a passion for underwater photography. I hope to use my photos in order to raise awareness of the beauty and diversity of the marine life in this area and to improve understanding of the threats that coral reefs face.

If you are interested in Mexico and the marine life of the Yucatan Peninsula, please take a moment to have a look at my website http://clarejames100.wix.com/photography

Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: