Receive discounts on GVI programs for life!

We are very excited to announce the launch of the GVI Membership! It will give you unprecedented access to discounted spots on a range of GVI programs, updated every single month, at up to 40% off! Sign in and know more about here!

GVI Marine Training kit

Please click here to access the online GVI Marine training kit

If you are coming for four weeks click
here to find the training tool that will help you learning your juvenile fish!

Study on the go! Click here for a Caribbean fish id guide application for iphones, ipads and ipods!

Friday, November 20, 2009

Volunteer diary, George Wise, Punta Gruesa Mahahual


I have never been to a place like Punta Gruesa before. It is a tropical paradise in the middle of nowhere and I have yet to see a map that shows it’s exact location. Indeed, Punta Gruesa is certainly a great place to live if you want to turn your back on the hussle and bussle of the modern world.

Most of my days are spent diving, studying or learning about some aspect of marine conservation. The days fly by and I cannot believe 5 weeks has past already, luckily for me I have another 17 weeks to go!!

Our group is comprised of 24 expedition members all from a variety of backgrounds and nationalities. It has been great to meet so many different people with different stories but of course communal living has it’s advantages and disadvantages. Cooking for 32 people, for instance, is definitely something I have not done before and requires a cool head and a creative imagination. There are a limited number of ingredients so it is a challenge to cook something different every day but we have had some wonderful meals including many cakes – which are always gratefully received. I don’t think I have ever had such a healthy diet or missed meat so much!

After 5 weeks here I feel really settled and am looking forward to getting stuck into the coral monitoring. Despite the warm beer and early mornings life here is great and I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else.

Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: